May 21, 2019
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOAT SAFETY TIPS AND local DESTINATIONS
With Memorial Day Weekend quickly approaching, are you and your boat prepared for the chaos? National Safe Boating week is this week, May 18-24, 2019, which is a campaign that promotes boating and life jacket safety to boaters across the nation. Their message is to encourage boaters to be prepared for anything and follow the below safety tips this weekend, and ultimately, everytime you operate a boat.
- Boating Safety Checklist- Before any boating season it is important for your vessel to have a thorough inspection to make sure your equipment is up to date. You can contact the USCG and they will inspect your boat free of charge. Once you pass, they will provide a sticker to put on the side of your boat that makes other boaters know your boat has passed all safety tests.
- Don't Drink alcohol- Operating a boat and drunk driving is the cause of 19 percent of death related accidents on the water.
- Wear a life jacket – Almost 85 percent of boating accidents that were fatal, the operator was not wearing one. Check your life jackets to make sure they fit your family and friends. The brighter the color the better the life jacket!
- Get educated! In 81% of boating accidents the operator had no form of safety training. Familiarize yourself with your local laws, navigation routes, and the vessel.
- Slow down! When you are in congested traffic areas, be courteous and look out for those around you.
If you are interested in learning more about North Carolina’s Boating laws and regulations click here.
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH DESTINATIONS
If you happen to be boating in the Wrightsville Beach area, make sure you check out three of the hottest destinations to celebrate your Memorial Day Weekend!
Masonboro is a barrier island that is only reachable by boat. It is undeveloped, so the island is full of coastal habitats and wildlife. On Memorial Day weekend, you can find many happy beachgoers coming together to celebrate the holiday with their friends, families, and pets. This is the perfect place to take your boat out to the weekend!
Nestled between the north end of Wrightsville Beach and the beautiful Figure Eight Island is a nice little spot called Mason’s Inlet. Between the great location and the perfect weather, this will be an excellent spot to bring your group this weekend. Be careful of sandbars and strong currents.
Palm Tree Island
One of the more fascinating landmarks around Wrightsville Beach, Palm Tree Island is a little island located in the Intracoastal waterway and is only revealed at low tide. This is a very popular spot for people to celebrate Memorial Day Saturday, as the weather reveals hints of summer. Just remember to time it right so there is plenty of island to enjoy but try to not get your boat stuck!
We hope you take the precaution tips seriously and have a fun, safe Memorial Day Weekend out on the water!
Off the Hook Yacht Sales has a proven process for both dealers and private sellers to liquidate their used boats and trades immediately! We have been the industry leader in marine wholesale since 2012. If you are looking for a fast, fair and competitive number on your boat please click here!